Pages

Saturday, February 12, 2011

Joy In: Old Movies

My mom and I have decided that I was born a few decades too late. I, personally, am CONVINCED that I would have been a perfect 20-something in the 40's and 50's...I love the fashion, I love the history, and I especially love the movies. Personal favorite: Sabrina....the Audrey Hepburn/Humphrey Bogart version. More about my obsession intense fascination with Audrey Hepburn later. If you haven't seen it, do yourself a favor and rent it (or Netflix it...why do I have a feeling Blockbuster is on it's way to obsolescence?). If you like romances, this one is for you...take a look for yourself:

 
Swoon. Oh--context for the random movie clip I decided to throw in today: Sabrina (Audrey) THINKS she's in love with Linus' (Bogey) younger brother, David (William Holden). Then Linus figures out HE loves Sabrina...and it all goes from there...you'll love it.

We recently bumped our cable up to the next level--purely because we weren't getting FX...heaven forbid we miss an episode of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. Anyway, in addition to FX, we now get Turner Classic Movies. I'm in heaven. Especially because it's "31 Days to Oscar" time and they're playing all of the great ones. Therefore, I'm spending my Friday night (David fell asleep aaaaaaattttt 10:30...) watching An American in Paris for the first time. If I could just get some decent ice cream (read: Blue Bell) around here, perfection would abound.

Happy Weekend to you all!


3 comments:

  1. The problem with being a 20-something in the 40s and 50s is being a kid in the Great Depression and a teen during WWII. Talk about a buzz-kill!

    Totally with you on the Blue Bell. Going down to Fort Worth next week and I'm planning to gorge on Braum's and tex-mex.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great point, and I've definitely thought about that too--talk about stress :-/ I think it's easy to romanticize the period; of which I am absolutely guilty, especially when I'm laying on my couch watching TCM at 10:30 on Friday night :)

    Please do gorge...and gorge some for me too; I'm so jealous! Brownie Fudge Sundae...decent enchiladas...enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am obsessed with Blue Bell!! And, how do you have such a great vocabulary? I read all the time, yet I have the vocabulary of an 8 year old!

    ReplyDelete